Writing Company Policies
Company policies are usually required at some stage when completing a pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ) or tender. You can have your company policies professionally written or you can utilise online guides and templates to help you create your own*
Guide to Company Policies
The most common policies asked for in SQs/PQQs are
- Equality and diversity
- Health and safety
Other common company policies include:
- Complaints policy
- Policies on sub-contractors, suppliers and procurement
- Policies on discipline, grievance, bullying and harassment
- Policies to help you protect your assets eg risk management and business recovery
- Anti-bribery and corruption
- Training and development
- Pay, rewards and benefits
- Managing personal relationships at work
- Data protection
- Customer care
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
Certain industries will have policies or codes of practice specific to their markets eg:
- Working in peoples’ homes
- Dealing with vulnerable people
- COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health)
- Child protection
Writing Your Own Company Policies
Here are some other online guides and templates to help you create your own key company policies:
Health and Safety Policy Template*
The Health and Safety Executive’s Write a Health and Safety Policy for Your Business has a H&S Policy template as well as a completed example. The HSE’s H&S Toolbox is also a useful resource.
Equality Policy Example and Advice*
ACAS offer an Advisory booklet – Delivering Equality & Diversity which contains a sample Equality Policy.
* Warning: Equality and H&S Policies and many employment policies need to comply with current legislation so take care!
NB make sure that:
- You sign and date each one (electronic signature is fine eg jpeg)
- You review them at least annually for compliance (and as a minimum update the policy date)
- You format them so they look similar and represent a professional company image
Need Help Writing Company Policies?
You will find that you may get asked for many more policies (as shown above). We have a bank of specialists (eg HR, H&S etc.) who can write policies specifically for your business that will meet all legal / other requirements – and improve your chances of tendering success.