Company policies are usually required at some stage when completing a supplier questionnaire (SQ), pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ) or tender. See Fit to Tender Checklist. You can have your company policies professionally written or you can utilise online guides and templates to help you create your own*
Guide to Company Policies
The most common policies asked for in SQs/PQQs are
- Equality and diversity
- Health and safety
Other common company policies include:
- Complaints policy
- Policies on sub-contractors, suppliers and procurement
- Policies on discipline, grievance, bullying and harassment
- Policies to help you protect your assets eg risk management and business recovery
- Anti-bribery and corruption
- Training and development
- Pay, rewards and benefits
- Managing personal relationships at work
- Data protection
- Customer care
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
Certain industries will have policies or codes of practice specific to their markets eg:
- Working in peoples’ homes
- Dealing with vulnerable people
- COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health)
- Child protection
Writing Your Own Company Policies
Here are some online guides and templates to help you create your own key company policies:
Health and Safety Policy Template*
The Health and Safety Executive’s Write a Health and Safety Policy for Your Business has a H&S Policy template as well as a completed example. The HSE’s H&S Toolbox is also a useful resource.
Equality Policy Example and Advice*
ACAS offer an Advisory booklet – Delivering Equality & Diversity which contains a sample Equality Policy.
* Warning: Equality and H&S Policies and many employment policies need to comply with current legislation so take care!
NB make sure that:
- You sign and date each one (electronic signature is fine eg jpeg)
- You review them at least annually for compliance (and as a minimum update the policy date)
- You format them so they look similar and represent a professional company image
Need Help Writing Company Policies?
You will find that you may get asked for many more policies (as shown above). We have a bank of specialists (eg HR, H&S etc.) who can write policies specifically for your business that will meet all legal / other requirements – and improve your chances of tendering success.